Sunday, September 17, 2006

I'm just going to come out and say it: TWO IS NOT AS EASY AS ONE!

Don't believe when people say (like my mom Halmoni) that raising two children is like raising one. They're full of shit or don't know what they're talking about. I look my mother in the eye every now and then and snort, "Two like one!" just to get her going.

It's more exponential and the politics get dirtier.

I was that PC mom with BedHeadSid. You know, giving him that there 'self-esteem' nurturing and unconditional love. Now, we're in a whole new level, he and I, and I no longer know who he is nor who I've become. The word 'Battle' comes to mind though.

I know he loves his little bro, but there are times that he just undermines the little one - tripping, pushing, taking, etc - that breaks my heart and reminds me of my own childhood of fending off my older brother (Uncle R that I barely speak to).

I know, I'm projecting my own childhood neuroses on BedHeadSid. That would explain my reaction to him, but I'm still at a loss as to how to handle him when he mistreats his brother this way. Time-outs (and i'm not adverse to a quick smackbottom during dangerous situations) are my current 1st choice of resolution, but I'm thinking there's more needed here.

I'm hoping to spend more time with him alone, hoping these special 'mommy & only me' playdates will give him back the sole attention he once had.

Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home